Thursday, August 7, 2008

Freedom from the keyboard

This time when I visited Singapore (see the previous post) I went without my laptop. It turns out that this is the first time in some two years that I have been away from a keyboard for as long as four days. If there is one place which is a paradise for the internet junkey it's Singapore - everywhere starting from Changi airport to the hotels, internet is ubiquitous and it's all free and fast. And therefore all the more reason to avoid if you not planning to spend your vacation hunched over the keyboard. And....I survived (and so did the world)!! I had thought the withdrawal symptoms of not connecting to the net sometime at least during the day would start affecting my nerves to the extent that my feet would start moving inexorably towards the nearest internet cafe. But I hardly missed it and just for that, as Henry Higgins says 'I should be given a medal or even made a knight'. Perhaps it helped that this was mostly the weekend but at the end of it all, there were just 64 messages waiting to be answered (or not answered) not counting spam which took me just about an hour to get through. All in all, a valuable lesson learnt - to use a cliche, take time off to smell the roses (more like orchids in this case but the idea is the same). And there's always the TV in the room to catch up with who is killing whom in the world. My friend Omar (he who is not AMOK) says I have begun to use the perpendicular pronoun once too often like some others who shall remain anonymous. Alas, this post is guilty of more of the same. Perhaps I can think of some weighty matters not referring to me to discourse upon next. Continue watching this space....

4 comments:

AmOK said...

Point taken. No need for a laptop while surfing in Singapore.

This blogger agrees with your note. Too many I's and too little content.

With so many sophistry-laden "I"tems on your blog, you might as well change your initials from (R)(B) to (R+1)(B+11) and merge the two blogs.

Anant said...

Yes, we did miss you. I hope that all this fine dining and beverage, all the joys of market capitalism in that great shopping centre city (or I am told having never been there), the penguins and the buses and public transport have not dented your caustic wit.

AmOK said...

You can read here that, the desi will not work if you have freedom from keyboard. At least not for the drug test.

Rahul Basu said...

Indeed Anant, I must clarify that in a conscious decision to be different (!) we did not visit either Little India or Mustafa the four storey favourite shopping mall of all Indian visitors. (Our guide told us some Indians on arriving in Singapore, barely take time out to drop off their luggage at the hotel before rushing off to Mustafa). I guess it was sheer cussedness which made us stay away, apart from the fact that we really weren't planning on any major shopping.